Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Why I'm Taking Japanese

I chose to take Japanese because I took it when I was younger and wanted to pick up where I left off. I think Japanese is relatively straightforward in that each letter represents one syllable and only one syllable, the sentence structure doesn't vary very much, particle usage is pretty easy to pick up and once you learn the rules of conjugation you can convey a wide range of thoughts with pretty good clarity. What I have found challenging though is the memorization. There is a pretty steep learning curve and it can be difficult to remember not only vocabulary but general concepts and grammar rules as well. As the semester progresses though I think the daily memorization will become less daunting.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you about the memorization! It's never been a strong point of mine, but I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling a bit. Maybe we can study together some time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent almost like an hour on vocabulary for the first class and I was like :"Geez, this class's gonna screw up GPA." But I am glad that I found it easier after a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. はじめまして、わたしはノトルダムだいがくのガくせいです。

    I spoke Japanese when I was little, and I took Japanese for the same reason as you do. I do not find daily memorization hard, but enjoyable instead.

    頑強ください。

    ReplyDelete